Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pizzeria Delfina



Last Sunday brought divine weather to San Francisco, along with the opportunity to make a great day in the Mission nearly perfect with a visit to Pizzeria Delfina. I've been looking forward to this visit after hearing rave reviews of both Pizzeria Delfina and Delfina--the sister restaurant located next door.



Both restaurants are owned by Craig and Anne Stoll. Craig has just been nominated for a James Beard chef of the year award, and with pizza like this, it no wonder--this is some of the best pizza I've ever eaten.

The pizzeria was busy even at three o'clock on a Sunday afternoon. All the tables were filled with happy diners, but luckily some space was available at the bar. This provided an excellent vantage point to watch the pizzas being made, and to meet the folks making them.

Anthony Strong is the pizziaolo, and was kind enough to let me take photos of my visit. They are cooking up some *kind* pizza over there at Pizzeria Delfina--it's like being in Naples!

Anthony Strong, pizzaiolo at Pizzeria Delfina. Brandon, who made my pizza, just calls him "jefe". Just keep making these great pizzas, I'll call you whatever you want!

Here is some time-lapse photography of my pizza being made--the best I could do with the camera in my iPhone. I ordered the pizza Napoletana--tomato, anchovies, capers, hot peppers, olives and oregano. 

This is Brandon making my pizza (according to Brandon, I'm the first person ever to remember how to spell his name correctly!)

Here is my glorious pizza headed into the oven...

And checking on it a few minutes later...


And finally perfect, and ready to cut--go Brandon!


And finally, the moment of truth: this pizza was fantastic. Crisp, thin crust with slightly puff, chewy edges. The crust had a very slightly yeasty complexity, and the crispy chewiness had me saying, "Scandalous!" out loud. To wit:

Mmmm. Scandalously good!

In addition to the great pizza, they've got some pretty amazing antipasti in the display case and several great wines to choose from. 

Alright, enough said--get yourself over to Pizzeria Delfina as fast as you can--this place is fantastic.







No comments: