Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chai to Smile About :)

It turns out a friend of mine likes chai as much as I do, so I decided to share my recipe for this delicious spiced tea. Like many of my recipes, use the amounts listed below for guidance. Add more ginger if you like a more potent gingery zing, and more pepper if you like a little more spicy heat. I promise you'll enjoy this!

3 cups water
6 green cardomom pods
6 black peppercorns
Ginger, about 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger, or 2 tablespoons dried ginger pieces
Sweetener, to taste. I like both honey and agave nectar
Black tea (optional, if you want some caffeine)
Milk, almond, soy, rice, or dairy

Add cardamom pods, peppercorns, and ginger to the water, and boil for about 30 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve and store, refrigerated, in a glass container. 

When you're ready for a cup, just mix up some of the chai with sweetener, milk and tea, then reheat. I always just guess about how much to mix, and somehow it seems to work out just fine. Don't worry, it'll work for you, too. Enjoy!

No comments: